Thursday, August 28, 2008

(28/8/2008)

Let's see... Firstly, I went to get my hair cut, and it's freaky... Nevermind about that. You can't really cry over spilt milk anyways. Secondly, it's Teacher's day tomorrow and I don't wanna go, but I think my teacher's really wanna see me... It's nice to know that even teacher's wanna hang with me. Thirdly, my latest essay got me a 20 out of 30! Praise the Lord! It has been such a long time since I saw a 20 on any of my essays. My teacher's comment was, "Rather emotive." Which according to her is good! So I'll post it up for you guys to enjoy!

Justice

Day after day, I would arrest dissidents, on the charge of treason or for going against the policies of the Party. I always thought they got what they deserved. No questions were asked about who we were going after or why. Usually the fate of these people would be unknown. We were always told after a mission that we were enforcing the law, administering justice to a chaotic and lawless world. We were seen as heroes, as people who upheld the righteous justice system. Or at least that's what they told us.

As usual we were sent on another mission to administer, much deserved, justice. this time a family living in a suburban area near the country side. Following procedure, we broke the door, went in and rounded up everyone, the children even. As theey were lined up outside, my commanding officer heralded, "You are all under arrest for conspiracy against the Party and for assisting the rebels in bringing down the regime."

Perfectly normal, I thought, but then something struck me. Were eight-year old children capable of conspiracy? I hardly think so, though it wasn't my place to question what was being done. As per instructions, we ransacked the house looking for "secret documents" and proof of conspiracy. As I methodically went through every room, I saw a pink Diary. I picked it up and flipped through its pages...

18th September 2027
Dear Diary,
I'm scared. Today a black van drove up to the school. Then the men in black pulled Ms. Kutner out of the class. We all ran to the window, and saw her argue with the men in black. Then he took out a gun and shot her! The men in black came into our class and said that she had been a bad woman.

Was this our justice system? What happened to the right to a lawyer? In 15 years in the force I have never heard of public executions, let alone in front of so many children. Is this the justice we were administering to the people? Is this, after all, what this world needs? I questioned my superiors about it, and they told me to forget about it, as they would not want the pleasure of arresting me on the charge of treason. Is this justice?

I learnt a few days later, that the girl who wrote the diary was shot, along with the rest of the family. I couldn't take it anymore. I left the forfe, unable to bear the guilt that I had assisted in killing a little girl. Perhaps our justice was an injustice.

Do let me know what you think about it. Frankly it's one of my favourite essays that I have personally written.

No comments: