Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Europen Tour (Part 3)

Today's post will be about Venice

Day 4
So we left the hotel in Florence at around 8am again, and we started the 2 hour long journey to Venice!
Venice is built on a lagoon and is famous for it's glassware, among other things.
It was originally a place where traders from all over Italy and parts of Europe would come to, this made Venice one of the most powerful Italian states in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.

So we arrived in Venice and boy was it cold! The wind was blowing and the tempreature was about 0 to 2 degrees, with indications of strong winds in the late afternoon. But in anycase we arrived in Venice via water taxi, and upon arrival the first thing we did was ride in gondolas. We went through the canals of Venice and took in the marvelous architecture of the time period. I enjoyed myself much.

After that we were free to go for lunch, and because it was so cold, we just walked into the first restaurnt that we saw. When we stepped in we were greeted by a wave of warmth. The best feeling ever!
In anycase we got sitted and we started to order our food. I had a bowl of fish soup which alone costs S$32! Then I had a main course of grilled fish which cost S$40! And for dessert I had real Italian Tiramisu. I will never be satisfied with Singaporean Tiramisu, ever again...
The S$32 for the fish soup was worth it as there was more than fish in it, there were clams, mussels, squid, octopus, prawns and fish. My mum ordered a bottle of red wine to go with our food and I drank about two thirds of the bottle. My mum drank the other one third, and my sis took a sip... By the time we were done, my mum was drunk, and I was high. There's a difference between high and drunk.

When we asked for our bill the waiter came to us with the bill and 3 shot glasses filled with a citrusy liquier. I asked what it was and he said it was his last Christmas present to us! Wasn't that nice of him. I would recommend the restaurant, but strangely there was no name. In anycase after that shot I went from high to drunk! It was a good feeling, the headache not so...

So we walked out of the restaurant, my sis being the only sober one, and went for the city tour, but I was having a throbbing headache, so I sat outside in the cold and waited. I was so drunk that I called Kelvin, a friend, and talked to him for 10:51... I would regret it when I saw my phone bill... But in anycase, my mum and I decided to sober ourselves up, so we left the tour group and went back to the same restaurant to sober up and keep warm.

When we arrived my mum ordered an espresso and my sis ordered a hot chocolate. I asked the same waiter who served us earlier to recommend something to make me sober, and he asked, "Would you like a chianti?"
I was drunk, and so I said, "Okay then, I trust your judgment."
He arrived moments later with a bottle of red wine and served it to me...
I would forget my name a few sips later. But it was a fun experience! Haha!
I couldn't finish the whole bottle, so I took it back to the hotel with me.

The day spent in Venice had to be one of the best, except for the headache that I had... Oh well...
As usual, I'll let he pictures speak for themselves.
Enjoy!

Venice









The Bridge of Sighs


Our final view of Venice.

P.S: My drunkeness justifies my lack of photos for this trip.

No comments: